Ayurvedic Remedies for Joint & Muscle Pains
Joint and muscular pains flare up during the winter season. Ayurveda has very effective formulations to mitigate this pain.
Described below is the method of making ‘Karpoorathi Thailam’ a famous remedy for joint and muscular pains. This oil is applied on areas of pain and massaged gently. For good results, a warm water bath 30 – 45 min after application of oil is recommended.
Though it is available in market ready-made, the home made one is more effective. Now let’s go through the process of making the oil.
The ingredients are 1 kilogram of Ajwain (Bishop’s Weed), 1 litre of Coconut Oil and 200 gm Camphor.
- Make 800 gm of Ajwain into powder.
- Powdered Ajwain is added to 6 litres of water and boiled and reduced to 2 litres. This is called Kashayam.
- The remaining 200 gm of Ajwain is then ground to a fine paste using water.
- Take a wide bottomed pan and pour 1 litre coconut oil into it.
- Add the 2 litre kashayam to this coconut oil.
- Now add the fine paste of ajwain.
- Heat the mix and let it boil in simmering heat. Once you get a sort of sandy deposit at the base, remove it from stove.
- Place 200 gm camphor in a steel vessel and pour the somewhat hot oil into this vessel. Allow the oil to cool to room temperature. Now store this oil in glass bottle.
Now the Karpoorathi Thailam is ready. Apply it on painful joints and muscles and massage gently as explained above.
- Alfalfa (Medicago Satina): The alfalfa herb is very effective in the reduction of joint pains. It must be had in the form of a tea four times a day.
- Ashwagandha (Withania Somnifera): Ashwagandha is the herb popularly known as Winter Cherry in the west. It has several positive properties for the human system. Treating joint pains are included in that list of properties.
- Banyan (Ficus Bengalensis):The banyan tree produces a sap much like the latex from rubber. This is used as an external application over the joints. This application relieves the pains in the joints after a few regular applications and massages.
- Garlic (Allium Sativum):Garlic is a very effective remedy for the treatment of joint pains. About five to six cloves of garlic must be eaten every morning to seek relief.
- Celery (Apium Graveolens): Celery can be used as an effective treatment for rheumatism and gout, both of which can cause pain in the joints. Thus, celery provides more lasting treatment from the problem. The alkaline content of celery makes it effective in treating joint pains.
- Massage the joints with a mixture of camphor, eucalyptus oil and menthol before going to bed.